Église Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption

What you need to know about this church

Église Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption Lavaqueresse

Where to find this church

Church Information

Église Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption is located in Lavaqueresse, a small village with 201 inhabitants about 10 km north-east of the town of Guise in the Département Aisne in the région Hauts-de-France.

The church is locked

This church was listed as a historical monument in 1927 (part) and 2021

* denotes external links that open in a new window

Lavaqueresse Église Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption
Church from the south-east
Church from the north-east

Visiting Église Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption

The visit to the church of Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption unfortunately turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, because contrary to what we read in various sources, the church is unfortunately not open every day. In any case, we found it locked.

However, it is also very impressive and worth seeing from the outside. This is especially true because, like the neighbouring church in Esquéhéries, it also has four towers, although here they are not symmetrically distributed.

The fortifications were built at the end of the 16th century on the foundations of a bell tower and a medieval nave. The church was built largely – as is typical for the region – of red brick, the foundation and the lower part of the square keep are of sandstone. This used to consist of three levels, the last two of which had embrasures and windows. None of this can be seen today.

The date 1714, inscribed on the outside of the southern wall of the nave next to two decorative hearts made of glazed brick, indicates the year of the extension with side aisles.

The relatively small choir is flanked by three round towers; another one was added to the left of the entrance portal built of bluish granite in the Renaissance style. Above this portal is a very old statue of the Virgin Mary.
The entrance hall of the keep has a barrel vault.

Inside are two remarkable sculptures from the 14th and 15th centuries, one of Saint Andrew and one in polychrome limestone of Saint Margaret of Antioch.
From the nave, a staircase leads up into the donjon keep, where above the choir is the refuge room, where the fireplace that enabled the refugees to cook or warm themselves still exists.